Holy cow it’s 2017. Time has FLOWN by.
It feels like 5 days ago we were welcoming in the new freshman class to HSM. It feels like 3 days ago I was in Haiti serving alongside incredible student leaders. And it feels like 1 day ago we were at Lost Canyon singing “This is REAL LOVE” at the top of our lungs.
Where has time gone?!
There have been so many foundational moments that have taken place in my life over the past year, and I don’t want to miss or forget any of them.
So, how do I keep up with the chaos of day to day life, and yet, still have time to pause and reflect and remember what God has done, is doing, and will do?
Better yet, how do I live a calm, NOT chaotic, life?
Answer: PRIORITIZE with God’s help.
We need to prioritize our time. I told my girls in Life Group last night something that my professor once told me and it terrified me, but it was completely true.
“Your life will never be less busy than it is right now…so, what will you do about it?”
- Will you continue to hold onto your boot straps and pray you survive?
- Or will you take time to pause and prioritize your time with God’s help?
When I prioritize my time with God, this is what one of my processes looks like:
- On Monday’s (my weekend), I set aside 30 minutes to look at my week and choose what I will say yes to and what I will say no to...
- I start by putting in the time blocks I want and need, like: journaling and reading my Bible, spending time with my husband, doing something fun and light hearted, etc.
We MUST remember 2 things: 1. Our God is a God of REST. After creating the world, HE RESTED. Every single day, God gives us opportunities to utilize and grow the gifts He has given us. And once we are done, He WANTS us to REST. Also! 2. Our God is a God of FUN. God desires FREEDOM for our lives - life to the FULLEST. God isn’t a cop watching our ever move, waiting for us to make a mistake. God is loving and kind - God delights in who you are and the things you enjoy doing. So REST and HAVE FUN.
- Then, I put time blocks in for things that I HAVE to do: work, grocery shopping, laundry (adulting life friends…it’s real).
- And lastly, I put time blocks in for NOTHING. You heard me. NOTHING. I intentionally place time blocks so that for an hour I have NOTHING planned that way, the options are ENDLESS. I could read a book for fun, go on a walk, watch a tv show, literally ANYTHING.
Now the reality is, everyone is different and functions differently. What I do, might not work for you, and that’s OKAY!
My hope isn’t for you to copy my process and try to control every minute of your life (that’s not freedom). My hope is that you can see the value of inviting God into your schedule and how you spend your time.
YES you have hours of homework. YES you have 5 sports practices in one day. YES you don’t sleep enough…but do you really think that’s how God wants you to live?
So…are you willing to let go of your own schedule in order to invite God in? Or do you want to continue to complain about how busy you are, when really, you just thrive off of the chaos and resting terrifies you?
Will you continue to miss the life God has planned for you? Or will you allow God to give you life to the fullest?
Ephesians 5:15-17 - "15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."